I’m not getting any younger and I haven’t been immortalized by a vampire, yet, so I did the next best thing…I went and got a Vampire Facial.
So, is it as bad as it sounds? Well, I wanted to find out so I went to see Dr. Lisa Kang at Serenity Med Spa in San Francisco. The procedure is actually called Microneedling with PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma). This procedure uses the Eclipse MicroPen™ Elite, the most advanced medical-grade automated microneedling device on the market. You can get the procedure on your face and other parts of your body. Just ask Lisa if what you want to get treated is possible.
What is Platelet-Rich Plasma?
They obtain Platelet-Rich Plasma, or PRP, by drawing a small amount of blood from my arm into a sterile tube. This sample is centrifuged to separate your plasma, which they use for the treatment, from my red and white blood cells. Plasma contains high concentration of platelets, stem cells and growth factors. Platelets help your tissue heal and grow new cells.
Yes, there is blood involved. My own blood. First, they draw out my blood and then they centrifuge my blood into a machine that separates out my plasma.
What is plasma and why is it so important?
- Plasma is the clear, straw-colored liquid portion of blood that remains after red blood cells, white blood cells, and other cellular components are removed.
- It is the single largest component of human blood, comprising about 55 percent, and contains water, salts, enzymes, antibodies and other proteins.
- Plasma carries out a variety of functions in the body, including clotting blood, fighting diseases and other critical functions.
- Plasma gets the body to produce more collagen to plump up the skin.
When PRP is used with microneedling, it penetrates your skin through the tiny channels the microneedles create. The PRP supercharges the microneedling benefits. PRP also addresses under-eye puffiness and dark circles to give you a more youthful, well-rested appearance. Since PRP is derived from your own blood, the side effects are virtually eliminated.
Pretty cool right? Watch for yourself!
The facial was not painful and the whole produced took only an hour.
You can get your own Vampire Facial at Serenity Med Spa too!
- 126 Post St, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94108
- Call them at 415-781-9200